|Lomito Saltado, Yummy!|
Oriental Sauteed Loin (Lomo Saltado)
Oriental sautéed loin is a fairly common, popular Peruvian recipe found in restaurants throughout the country although the plate is most popular in Lima and other coastal cities. A stir fry that combines beef, vegetables, and french fries, it’s an easy, delicious, and fun dish to make. Its name describes the dish and hints at its origins.
History of Oriental Sautéed Loin
During the mid-nineteenth century, a burgeoning population and instability encouraged thousands of Chinese people to abandon their ancestral homes in search of work and a better life elsewhere. Large numbers of Chinese immigrants toiled away on plantations and helped build railways in several countries. 90,000 settled in Peru over the course of several decades and in doing so, influenced Peruvian culture in several ways. One of the most prominent involved Peruvian cuisine.
Chinese restaurants are a fairly common sight in Peru. Several Chinese dishes have combined with local Peruvian flavors and have become accepted as Peruvian dishes. One of the most popular is Oriental Sautéed Loin. As generic as this dish may sound, it can be immediately recognized by the presence of french fries. Unlike other Chinese- influenced dishes, this one includes the fried potatoes as an important ingredient.
Ingredients in Oriental Sautéed Loin
- About one pound of french fries. These can come from a package of frozen french fries.
- Vegetable oil for stir-frying the ingredients.
- 1 pound of thinly sliced beef.
- 1 large onion that is sliced into strips.
- 3 large tomatoes that are peeled, seeded, and sliced into strips.
- 1 yellow chili pepper.
- One fourth cup of distilled white vinegar.
- Soy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
Preparation of Oriental Sautéed Loin
- Prepare the french fries first.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and fry it until it is lightly cooked.
- Remove the meat from the frying pan.
- Fry the onions and stir fry with the tomatoes and the yellow chili pepper.
- Add the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add the french fries and beef.
- Cover and cook for around three minutes or until the beef is done.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped cilantro just before serving.
Tip: Serve with white rice